Originally squatted and since legalized Makamik is an anarchist and antiauthoritarian social center and space for free art. Makamik's organizing is based on anticapitalism and safer space principles. The house is host to many kinds of events such as peoples kitchens, gigs, workshops, cross-disciplinary art, parties, movie nights and exhibitions.
Principles of the house:
- no authoritarian symbols (for example: swastika, hammer and sickle, finnish lion, national flags, insignia of parties or their youth departments etc.)
- don't take photos of people without their permission
- don't harass or touch people without permission
- no discrimination (racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, ableism, ageism etc.)
- respect other people's physical and emotional space
- NO MEANS NO! – believe on the first time!
- don't presume or make generalizations (about peoples background, gender, sexuality, life situation etc.)
- don't make disturbing comments on others body or looks
- clean up after yourself
If you notice or face anything that feels difficult at the house we wish that the organizers would be told with a very low threshold.
Makamik is not an accessible space. From the street to the door goes an unpaved wide-ish trail, the house has many doorsteps the first of which is quite high and the doors are not so wide. We want to nevertheless help with overcoming these obstacles, so if you need help arriving to the space or moving around there please contact us and we’ll figure out something!
Makamik has a free-shop where you can bring or take clothes and other stuff for free.
- book shop/info shop/library
- (free) shop/market